UN Secretary-General António Guterres calls on Israel to reverse course pending ban About the 37 non-governmental organizations (NGOs) working in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.
In a statement on Friday, Guterres called the organizations’ work “indispensable to life-saving humanitarian efforts,” spokesman Stephane Dujarric said. He added that “a suspension could undermine the fragile progress made during the ceasefire”.
Israel banned the humanitarian organizations because they failed to meet new registration regulations requiring aid groups working in the occupied territories to provide “detailed information about their staff, funding and operations.” It pledged to enforce the ban from March 1.
Experts denounced the demands as arbitrary and contrary to humanitarian principles. Aid groups say providing personal information of Palestinian employees to Israel could put them at risk.
target group include National chapters of Doctors Without Borders (MSF in French), the Norwegian Refugee Council and the International Rescue Committee.
Israel has killed approximately 500 aid workers and volunteers in Gaza so far in its genocidal war. Since October 7, 2023, at least 71,271 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza.
Guterres said in a statement that the NGO ban “builds on previous restrictions that have delayed the entry of critical food, medical, sanitation and housing supplies into Gaza.”
“This latest action will further exacerbate the humanitarian crisis facing Palestinians,” he said.
Nearly the entire Gaza population was displaced during the war, with many still living in tents and makeshift shelters.
Israel had severely restricted aid entering the enclave until a ceasefire came into effect in October. Under the deal, Israel will provide unhindered assistance.
But humanitarian groups say Israel continues to block adequate aid flows. Ongoing restrictions include materials that can be used to provide better shelter and protection during flooding devastating winter stormAccording to the United Nations.
Earlier on Friday, the foreign ministers of Qatar, Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Türkiye, Pakistan and Indonesia warn “Deteriorating” conditions could claim more lives in Gaza.
“Fooding of camps, damaged tents, collapsed buildings, exposure to freezing temperatures and malnutrition significantly increase the risk to civilian lives,” they said in a statement.
They called on the international community to “pressure Israel, the occupying Power, to immediately lift restrictions on the entry and distribution of essential supplies such as tents, shelter materials, medical aid, clean water, fuel and health support.”