Sony said on Sunday that all PlayStation Plus members will automatically receive an additional five days of service following a global outage that disrupted the PlayStation Network (PSN) for about 18 hours on Friday and Saturday.
“Network services have fully recovered from operational issues. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank the community for their patience,” the Japanese electronics and entertainment giant said in a post on X on Sunday, without specifying the cause of the outage.
The outage began late Friday night and prevented users from logging in, playing online games or accessing its online store. By Saturday evening, the company said PSN had been restored.
PlayStation Network is a key service for Sony’s gaming division, supporting millions of users around the world.
At its peak, the Saturday afternoon service outage affected about 7,939 users in the United States and 7,336 users in the United Kingdom, according to DownDetector.com. The site tracks service outages by collating status reports from multiple sources, including users.
One user posted on X: “PlayStation is back up after being down all day. Sony at least saved millions of players’ Sunday after ruining their Saturday.”
Sony has dealt with more severe outages in the past. In 2014, a cyberattack forced the PlayStation Network to go offline for several days during the holidays. A more serious breach in 2011 exposed the personal data of nearly 77 million users, leading to a month-long shutdown and regulatory investigation.
© Thomson Reuters 2025
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)