YouTube said on Thursday that it has suspended payments to content producers on 14 channels that have been accused by the country’s Federal Election Court TSE of spreading fake news about next year’s elections.
Most channels regularly fully support President Jair Bolsonaro (Jair Bolsonaro), a far-right former army captain who has been questioning the credibility of next year’s vote. After overseeing the outbreak of the world’s second most deadly coronavirus and a weak economy, the president’s position in the polls declined.
Alphabet’s YouTube said in a statement announcing this initiative: “We have strengthened our commitment to working with Brazilian authorities and continue to invest in policies, resources and products to protect the YouTube community from harmful content.”
Last week, the electoral inspector general, Luis Felipe Salomão, ordered YouTube, Twitch.TV, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to suspend payments to people and pages that spread false information about Brazil’s election system.
In July, YouTube stated that it had removed videos spreading misinformation about the coronavirus outbreak from Bolsonaro’s channel, becoming the latest tech giant to withdraw its pandemic statement.
© Thomson Reuters 2021