A Chinese nonprofit organization said on Tuesday that it is suing Tencent for the presence of content that is not suitable for minors in the flagship video game “Honor of Kings” by the world’s top game developer.
The Beijing Youth Legal Aid Research Center stated that it had filed a lawsuit in the Beijing court on Tuesday, marking the implementation of the revised law on the protection of minors.
Reuters was unable to independently verify the content of this lawsuit, and it also coincided with Beijing’s unprecedented antitrust crackdown on some of China’s largest technology companies, including Tencent.
The public interest organization stated that the company declined to comment when contacted by Reuters and has gradually reduced the recommended age limit for games from 18 in 2017 to 12 this year.
In a post on its social media account, it stated that some of the characters in the game wore low-cut clothes, the storyline had tampered with historical figures, and showed disrespect for traditional culture-all of which made the game unsuitable for young users.
The organization said in a post: “The costumes of the game characters are too revealing, and there are many on its website and forums…low taste content that is not suitable for teenagers.”
It said the in-game sweepstakes also made younger players more likely to play longer.
Out of concerns about eye damage, Chinese authorities are trying to limit the time young people spend playing video games. Companies including Tencent have established anti-addiction systems, which they say limit young users’ play time.
Tencent said in November last year that “Honor of Kings” is free to download but has paid content, and has a record 100 million daily active users worldwide.
Sources told Reuters in April that China is preparing to impose fines on Tencent, which may exceed US$1 billion (approximately Rs 7,290 crore) due to the anti-competitive practices of certain companies and the incorrect reporting of past acquisitions. Antitrust review.
Thomson Reuters 2021 ©