Paramount / Sega
- Paramount's "Sonic the Hedgehog" won domestic box office with an estimated box office of $ 57 million [as of Monday, net income was $ 68 million].
- The film's box office revenue exceeded the studio's $ 40 million.
- $ 57 million is the largest ever opening price of a video game movie, surpassing the opening price of "Pokémon Detective Pikachu" at $ 54.3 million.
- Best Picture The Oscar-winning film Parasite made $ 5.5 million last weekend after Neon expanded to 2,000 screens. The biggest weekend to date.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Paramount has finally won the box office thanks to video game characters and Jim Carrie wearing silly beards.
Following "The Gemini Man", "Terminator: Dark Destiny", and more recently "Rhythm Part", the studio relies on "Sonic the Hedgehog" to top the domestic box office on Presidents' Weekend.
This family-friendly movie brought in about $ 57 million in revenue on more than 4,100 screens [as of Monday, $ 68 million in revenue]. It's a quiet show for a movie that Paramount released last weekend for just under $ 40 million.
It's also a nice bounce back for titles that were eliminated for portraying the iconic Sonic-like character Sonic. CGI Blue Speedster has one Different facial expressions The movie's original trailer sparked an online commotion. The visual effects artist returned to the drawing board and created a version closer to the appearance of Sonic in his video game, which Sega launched in the early 1990s [Jim Carrey portrays Dr. Ivo Robotnik, the villain of the game]. The movie was postponed from November 2019 release to this weekend, so the team had plenty of time to redo Sonic.
With the opening of $ 57 million, $ 85 million budget "Sonic" is the best weekend adaptation of a video game ever, surpassing Warner Bros. "Pokémon Detective Pikachu", one of which $ 54.3 million opening capital In May 2019.
Box office highlights:
- At the end of "Oscar Night", the film became the first foreign language film to receive the best film ever, and "The Pagan" brought in a huge $ 5.5 million in revenue on 2,000 screens. The biggest weekend to date.
- Warner Bros. "Birds of Prey" has fallen 49% since its premiere weekend and made $ 17 million.