OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro received the third edition Beta of Android 11 in the form of Android 11 Developer Preview 3. The company announced the development on the OnePlus Community Forum, which includes a list of major updates, some known issues, and upgrade steps, and draws attention to users who flash their phones. The news was released the second day after OnePlus launched its Android 11-based HydrogenOS 11 in China, which has a series of features and improvements.
OnePlus is one of the smartphone companies offering its users the option to join the Android 11 beta program. Developers and early adopters who have registered for the program and are using one of the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro devices have been invited to use it to test the features before launching the final stable version to the public.
OnePlus recommends that testers do not refresh this version on the devices they use daily, as this may brick the phone or lose important data. The company also asked testers to create backups of their data. In order to install Android 11 Developer Preview 3 on any OnePlus 8 series smartphone, testers must have more than 30% battery power and at least 3GB of free storage space. The company stated that the OnePlus 8 series carrier devices (TMO/VZW) are not compatible with the Developer Preview version.
Key updates in Android 11 Developer Preview 3
- New visual design (including weather application, launcher, gallery, notes)
- New layout, one-handed operation is more comfortable and convenient
- Always-on display function, including 11 new clock styles
- The live wallpaper changes according to the time of day
- New OnePlus Sans font improves readability
- Optimized dark mode, including automatic opening and closing functions and shortcuts in “Quick Settings”
- Three new Zen Mode themes, more timing options and new Group functions, allowing you to experience Zen Mode with friends
- The new gallery feature automatically creates weekly stories based on your photos and videos
Known issues in Android 11 Developer Preview 3
- Some third-party applications may not work properly
- System stability issues
- Network stability issues in certain situations
How to upgrade OnePlus 8 to Android 11 Developer Preview 3
- Download the latest ROM upgrade zip package
- If you download to the desktop, copy the file to the storage of your phone
- Go to Settings>System Update Then click the menu icon
- Click local upgrade and navigate to the file
- Tap Upgrade>System Upgrade And wait for the installation to complete
- Click Restart, you should upgrade to Android 11 Developer Preview 3
As mentioned earlier, the third preview is the second day after OnePlus launched HydrogenOS 11 based on Android 11 in China. OnePlus has launched HydrogenOS without Google services and apps in China, and OxygenOS in other markets. The latter usually has all the features of the version launched in China. HydrogenOS 11 has “always-on display”, a redesigned “gallery” application, “weather” application, improved dark mode and other functions. These features may be included in OxygenOS 11 based on Android 11.
Is Nord the iPhone SE of the OnePlus world? We discussed this on the weekly technical podcast Orbital, you can subscribe via Apple Podcast, Google Podcast or RSS, download the episode, or click the play button below.