Huawei: U.S. releases new allegations of racket and theft

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker, Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross [L], Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen, and FBI Director Christopher WrayPicture copyright
Reuters

illustrate

U.S. announces allegations against Chinese telecommunications company Huawei last year

The United States has expanded its lawsuit against Huawei, accusing the Chinese telecommunications giant of adopting a "decade-long" plan to steal technology from American companies.

Prosecutors said Huawei violated terms of cooperation with U.S. companies and stole trade secrets such as source code and robotics.

It added List of other allegations filed by the United States last year.

Those accused Huawei of violating U.S. sanctions and stealing T-Mobile's technology. Huawei has denied this claim.

The company, one of the world's largest smartphone makers, said the U.S. is targeting it because its expansion poses a threat to U.S. business interests.

The company's chief financial officer, the daughter of the company's founder, Meng Wanzhou, is still being held in Canada, where she is fighting extradition to the United States.

She was accused of fraud and sanctions violations there-and she denied that.

Picture copyright
AFP

illustrate

Meng Wanzhou arrested during stopover in Vancouver in 2018

The company said: "This new lawsuit is part of an attempt by the Justice Department to irreparably damage Huawei's reputation and its business in relation to competition rather than law enforcement."

In the latest indictment, the United States has accused Huawei of extortion and theft of trade secrets, and details the company's efforts to evade US rules for doing business with Iran and North Korea.

Prosecutors also said Huawei offered bonuses to employees who obtained "confidential information" from competitors.

"As a result of the theft of technology and intellectual property, Huawei has been able to significantly reduce research and development costs and related delays, giving the company a clear and unfair competitive advantage," the prosecutor said.

Huawei says the new allegations are "artificial repackaging" that has been filed in civil courts.

The company said: "The government will not use these allegations as a reason to prove to be baseless and unfair."

New allegations filed last Thursday in the Brooklyn Federal Court indicate that the United States has not withdrawn from the fight against Huawei, which has heightened tensions between China and the United States and complicated the relationship between the United States and its allies.

The United States has urged partners such as the United Kingdom to ban their networks from using Huawei technology to maintain the company's equipment available for Chinese espionage.

Despite pressure, Britain announced last month Huawei's technology continues to be used in evolving 5G networks, but it is limited.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons