The measurement app allows you to measure the distance between two points and the dimensions of certain objects. We’ve seen similar apps on the App Store for a while, but the iOS 12 Measure app was designed by Apple and ships with the latest version of iOS. This makes it more likely to be used by people for measurement. We’ve used the Measure app with a bunch of objects in our house, and the results have been generally positive. Before using the Measure app, keep in mind that it might work better on iPhone 8 and newer, where the camera is better optimized for AR. We tested the app with an iPhone 7 and the results were very good, but not 100% accurate. We’re not quite ready to throw away our tape measure, but iOS 12’s Measure app is a solid backup for measurements in case the tape measure isn’t around.
18 hidden iOS 12 features everyone should be using
How to measure things with the iOS 12 Measure app
Follow the steps below to take measurements using the iOS 12 Measure app:
- Open the Measurement app on iOS 12.
- Point the camera at the object you want to measure. Whether it’s a small box or an entire room, the Measure app’s performance is just as reliable.
- Now a big plus button A screen will appear circle with a dot in the middle. Point the point to the starting point you want to measure, then tap plus button.
- Now point the point to the end point and click plus button. This will show the distance between these two points on the screen.
- Sometimes when you point the camera at a rectangular object, you will see a add object button. Click on it to see the length and width of the object.
- There are four buttons on the screen of the Measure application.The button in the upper left allows you to undo the measurement, the button in the upper right clear button allows you to reset all measurements, bottom right photo button allows you to take a picture of the measurement, large plus button Add measurement points.
12 cool new features in iOS 12
We noticed that the distances measured by the Measure app differed by at most a few centimeters. We measured a mattress with a length of 1.7 meters (the app said 1.72m), a box with a diameter of 14cm (the app said 14cm), a book with a length of 14cm and a width of 25cm (the app said it right), and then a 60cm wide Table (app says 61 cm). On our iPhone 7, the results were generally pretty solid compared to a physical tape measure.
How to Check Levels with the iOS 12 Measure App
The measurement app also allows you to check whether an object is vertical or horizontal. This was in the Compass app before, but now it’s part of the Measure app.
How to Enable or Disable Automatic Software Updates on iOS 12
- Open the measurement application.tap grade Point the camera at the lower right corner behind the desired object.
- Align the camera until the angle is 0 degrees for proper leveling.
iOS 12 Screen Time: How to Reduce iPhone Addiction
That’s pretty much everything you need to know about the Measure app on iOS 12. How are you using the Measure app? Let us know via comments.
iOS 12: How to Make Notifications Quietly Deliver and Ungroup Notifications
For more tutorials, visit the “How To” section.
Will Apple launch an affordable iPhone in India? We discuss this on Orbital, our weekly tech podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.