The organizers of the boycott of Facebook ads said on Thursday that unless their concerns are resolved, they will ask European advertisers to join their businesses.
The campaign was initiated by the American Civil Rights Organization in June to put pressure on the world’s largest social media company to take concrete steps to stop hate speech and hate speech on the platform after the death of George Floyd in May. False information.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (Mark Zuckerberg) has not yet taken “the type of meaningful action we would like to see”, the “Stop Hatred of Profit” campaign stated in a press release, adding that many companies have not yet Get ready to return to the platform.
The campaign spokesperson said: “Global campaigns including paid media will require advertisers in Europe to stand with 1,100 advertisers in the United States to fight hatred and false information on Facebook.”
Just as Facebook and other large technology giants were accused in a US Congressional hearing on Wednesday, accusing them of abusing market power.
The campaign said that “from the very beginning, “some of the most iconic brands in the world” have withdrawn millions of dollars in advertising from Facebook, adding that this movement will continue until Facebook makes “reasonable Change”.
Floyd, a 46-year-old African American, died after a white policeman knelt on his neck for nearly 9 minutes. His death triggered worldwide protests against racial inequality and police brutality.
The campaign previously outlined 10 changes it hopes to make, including allowing victims of severe harassment to talk to Facebook employees and offering refunds to brands whose ads are displayed next to objectionable content, which was subsequently deleted.
Facebook said in early July that it expressed “thanks” to these organizations for their “continuous participation”.
© Thomson Reuters 2020