Director, Emerging Technology, Starbucks Technology – Seattle, WA
Seattle, WA, US
About Starbucks Technology
At Starbucks, our digital products and in-store technologies are transforming our customers’ experience in incredible ways. Millions of customers and over 25% of our US business transact through our mobile and web apps, and billions of dollars pass through our digital platform every year. We have over 30,000 stores, supporting hundreds of thousands of store employees (we call them partners) and millions of customers across the globe every year—and we’re building more every day. The opportunities to innovate at our global scale are limitless, and you can come help define the next generation of digital and physical experiences for our diverse and savvy customers. Here at Starbucks Technology, our teams power moments of connection between our customers and partners and build the innovations that drive our core business.
Starbucks Emerging Technology is a small team empowered to identify problems and new opportunities that will enable our business and deliver innovative solutions for our partners and customers. We deliver compelling technical prototypes & nascent capabilities using cutting-edge technologies like IoT, machine learning, vision & object recognition and natural language processing (NLP), and our own robust cloud-based services & digital payment platform created and supported by the talented engineers in Starbucks Technology. We foster a culture where we fail fast, learn, improve, and iterate quickly. We embrace diversity, accountability, creative thinking, radical inclusion, and a healthy skepticism of the status quo. We seek out the latest technologies and the right capabilities to solve our biggest business and technical problems.
To help us continue on our mission, we are seeking a director, emerging technology to join the Starbucks Technology leadership team. In this role, you will lead the innovation agenda for Starbucks Technology and be an essential part of its strategic transformation. You will support and scale your team, who will be the go-to experts on key technology trends like machine learning, artificial intelligence, IoT, 5G, and more—and help turn them into industry-leading reality at the Starbucks scale.
We expect you to be passionate, to regularly challenge the status quo, and lead by our Starbucks mission and values. You will have a relentless pursuit of excellence and exemplify leadership in the innovation space. You must be a courageous leader who can lead through behavioral and structural transformation. Additionally, your commitment to the community is imperative—it’s part of our company DNA.
- Lead and scale a high-functioning, passionate team of engineers and product managers
- Provide hands-on, operational leadership and inspiration
- Strategically collaborate and support cross-functional teams to identify key new problem spaces and opportunities
- Coach, develop and inspire our next generation of innovation leadership
- Influence and evangelize
- Globally position Starbucks as a global innovation leader through your contributions, of disrupting traditional retail and
- digital experiences
- Inspire and educate our most senior leaders of what is possible in defining the next 50 years of Starbucks
- Establish and infuse and innovation-driven mindset across all technology teams at Starbucks
- Demonstrate the highest levels of integrity and forge trusting, open, and productive working relationships throughout the
- organization and external to Starbucks
- Build relationships and influences inside and outside the stores—with a focus on community
- Identify, develop, and make the case for operationalization of emerging technologies that will enhance our customer and partner experience, deliver operational efficiencies, or help promote our mission & values
- Develop and apply appropriate innovation prioritization frameworks, to drive resource allocation to the areas with the highest long term customer and business value; drive execution thought the lens of business-driven outcomes
Build and develop a team and culture that can be a guidepost to other teams in the organization, through great culture and significant value delivery
- Support a rotational program of partners through the innovation lifecycle
Elevate, coordinate and execute in fast track timelines
- 15+ years of experience in technology-focused organizations
- 10+ years of leading cross-disciplinary product and engineering teams
- Ability to apply multidisciplinary knowledge and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Strong verbal and written communications skills are a must, as well as the ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Strong software engineering fundamentals
- Strong interpersonal skills, building an effective network of relationships inside and outside Starbucks.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, as an advocate for technology solutions.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with proven ability to design pragmatic solutions
- Demonstrated experience of partnership with industry-leading technology companies and start-ups
- B2B/B2C experience, with a demonstrated understanding of both Retail and Quick Serve Restaurant (QSR) businesses
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org