lsd hands istock 1024

A teenager accidentally ingested 10 times the normal recreational dose of LSD. A 26-year-old man took the same medication but didn't know he was pregnant. One woman took a 550 LSD dose at a time and was completely mistaken for another drug.

These abnormal and shocking stories of large amounts of LSD [lysergic acid diacetamide] in real people are described in detail in New research, Trying to understand the medical effects of very high doses of psychedelic drugs in entertainment venues.

Why do scientists want to know these things? In years, there has been increasing interest in the use of psychedelics for treatment, and many researchers are studying what LSD is good for the brain, Measurement Effect of microdoseAnd draw Psychedelic history In terms of medicine.

in spite of Ongoing commitment of this researchLittle is known about the potential adverse effects of very high doses of drugs such as LSD, which is certainly not something that scientists can experimentally test on human patients.

Therefore, the only way to really measure what happened is to look at medical records that cover actual overdose, which is the basis for a new paper published by a Canadian researcher who collected information from interviews about three independent cases, health records, cases Instructions and accompanying reports.

In the most striking case, a 46-year-old woman named CB had used morphine to treat Lyme disease-related pain in her feet. She accidentally inhaled 55 mg of powdered pure LSD as cocaine.

"This is equivalent to 550 times the normal recreational dose of 100 mcg," wrote the lead author and lead author Mark Haden, a psychedelic research expert at the University of British Columbia. Their learning.

See also  "Wonder Woman 1984" trailer wants you to have everything

"She realized she had a problem within 15 minutes and called her roommate for help."

During the next 12 hours, CB often vomited and sat upright [in her memory], but "dark" most of the time during the ordeal. For another 12 hours, she felt "pleasant" but still rarely got sick.

"The roommate's incidental report shows that she spends most of her time sitting in a chair with her eyes open, eyes closed or rolling backwards, foaming in her mouth, occasional random sounds, and frequent vomiting." Researchers explain.

"After ten hours, she can talk and go to the bathroom, looking very coordinated."

After recovering, CB tried microdose LSD to relieve foot pain and eventually stopped taking morphine altogether, although she did experience episodes of anxiety, depression, and social withdrawal.

In another case, a 15-year-old woman named AV accidentally ingested about 10 times the normal recreational dose at a party. AV has a history of cannabis and psychedelic use and has been previously diagnosed with depression, hypomania and bipolar disorder.

Hours after taking the drug, the AV behavior was unstable and subsequent seizures occurred. Her family and doctors pointed out that the clinical depression of atrial fibrillation seemed to be relieved after the incident.

"AV's father that after overdose, her daughter appeared to have recovered from mental health problems," The researchers wrote.

"AV reported that her brain was living normally after an LSD overdose event, and her brain was chemically unbalanced before the event."

The third case described in detail in the study the experience of NM of a 26-year-old woman who attended the same party in AV and where she took LSD at an overdose and the dose taken was normal leisure Five times the 100 mcg dose.

See also  Some AT & T users report slow internet connection

NM is an experienced user of psychedelics, but was unknowingly pregnant for two weeks at the time of the event. Fortunately, there is no evidence that drug exposure has affected the development of her child, now 18 years old.

Although no one should deliberately reuse these overdose under any circumstances, researchers point out that, despite the participants' pain, "the sequelae seem unpredictable, and the sequelae range from the improvement of symptoms of mental illness to the onset of mental symptoms Reduction in body pain and morphine withdrawal symptoms. "

Of course, these are just anecdotal memories of the three incidents that happened a few years ago, so we should be cautious about our interpretation of our findings, and apart from acknowledging that no one seems to have been harmed.

Based on this, the study confirmed 1970s research, Which details the serious reactions caused by severe LSD overuse, 8 of them died, none died, and eventually everyone recovered.

Nevertheless, given what they have experienced, in conclusion: "Humans taking large amounts of LSD are life-threatening and produce compelling and unique performance."

The findings are reported in Journal of alcohol and drug research.